CD — COMPANION DOG (FIRST OBEDIENCE TITLE)
To earn the title of Companion Dog (CD), the dog must pass three novice obedience trials under at least two different licensed obedience judges. Each trial consists of six exercises which the dog must pass (obtain at least 50%) and accumulate a total score of a minimum of 170 points. (A perfect score is 200 points.) The exercises are:
- Heal on Leash and Figure-8: The dog must perform a heeling pattern on-leash as well as heeling in a figure-8 pattern around two ring stewards. Scored out of 40 points.
- Stand for Examination: The handler stands the dog and then moves in front to the end of the leash. The judge will then walk in and touch the dog. Scored out of 30 points.
- Heel Free: The dog performs a heeling pattern off-leash. Scored out of 40 points.
- Recall: The handler leaves the dog in a Sit-Stay and walks to the end of the ring, then on the judges signal calls the dog. The dog must return and sit in front of the handler and on signal return to the heel position. Scored out of 30 points.
- Long Sit (1 minute): A group exercise where the dogs are lined up and given the command to sit and then to stay. The handlers then move to the opposite side of the ring. Scored out of 30 points
- Long Down (3 minutes): A group exercise where the dogs are lined up in a row and given the command to down and then to stay. The handlers then move to the opposite side of the ring. Scored out of 30 points.